Few questions about mail

Vito

Few questions about mail

Post by Vito »

1) MX record
I use cloudflare + keyhelp, so I have a little problem finding what MX record that I should put in cloudflare dns to get mail work :) is that mx.domain.com or something else? can't find that info in docs :(

2) Is there any way to obtain certificate for webmail subdomain that automatically created with every new domain? i.e. webmail.domain.com

That be cool if you add letsencrypt wildcard support in next ;)

thank you.
nikko

Re: Few questions about mail

Post by nikko »

Hi Vito,
1.)for domainsettings see the first thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728

2.) for webmail configuration see here: admin -> panel settings -> tools-webmail ; recommend: redirection
The software said: Requires Win Vista®, 7®, 8® or better. And so I installed Linux.
Vito

Post by Vito »

1) Can't understand :/ But i created a MX record filled with FQDN i.e. hostname.domain.com and set priority to 10. It seems that it works :?

2) recommend: redirection is set.

I mean this:

Code: Select all

Behavior of the webmail.* subdomain
For each domain created, there is always also a subdomain "webmail.<DOMAIN NAME>" available.
Here you can define what should happen when this domain is accessed.
webmail.<DOMAIN NAME> it uses fqdn certificate from panel, and not from domain which I added
nikko

Post by nikko »

1.)

mydomain.com -> A -> 111.222.333.44 (Server-IP)
*.mydomain.com -> A -> 111.222.333.44 (Server-IP)
mail.mydomain.com -> A -> 111.222.333.44 (Server-IP)
www.mydomain.com -> A -> 111.222.333.44 (Server-IP)
mydomain.com -> MX 10-> mail.mydomain.com
*.mydomain.com-> MX 10 -> mail.mydomain.com
mail.mydomain.com -> TXT -> v=spf1 a mx ip4:111.222.333.44 ~all

2.) webmail.domain.com does a redirect to webmail.panel.com - its the best choice. Otherwise the user must accept the browser error for ssl.
The software said: Requires Win Vista®, 7®, 8® or better. And so I installed Linux.
Vito

Post by Vito »

1) Why u use A record for mail.mydomain.com and not cname, I never use more than one A record.

A domain.com points to 11.222.333.44
CNAME www is an alias of domain.com
MX domain.com mail handled by (still don't know :lol: ) but hostname.domain.com works....
TXT domain.com v=spf1 a mx ip4:111.222.333.44 ~all

Thats all, anyway need response from devs..

2)What if webmail.domain.com does not redirect to webmail.panel.com :| and browser shows error for ssl.
nikko

Post by nikko »

Because you asked for cloudflare. And CF says:
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... ould-I-do-

Nice to have helped you.
Vito

Post by Vito »

nikko
Well, If I use you solution mail stops working, I can not send and receive letters.
sender receives a response from Mail Delivery Subsystem.. etc..

If MX handled by hostname.domain.com - I can send and receive letters. Cloudflare help offer only a typical configuration, this does not mean that it is suitable for this panel/server config.

Thank you for your help.
nikko

Post by nikko »

Again...
W/O CF:
Way 1.) Use my config from the post about. It works since years with KH without problems. If its not yours, change your records at will.
Way 2.) If you have 2 ip`s use the panel-own nameservers, e.g. ns1.server.yourdomain.com
W CF:
Way 1.) Put the mx->a redirection like the sample from CF. BUT the mail.yourserver.com points to your origin server ip. AND CF dont allow wildcard in the freepackage. Thats, why you must add the www. - record.
Way 2.) CF recommend to separate mailserver and webserver, because way 1.
Way 3.) Dont use CF-routed domains for mail, separate the pagedomain and maildoamin.
nikko

Post by nikko »

Way 4.) Search and use a datacenter, which have ddos-protection included.

....Regarding your answer from the DEVS ... ALEX, Martin???