DNS experts? private Nameservers and the Domain for the panel

chaiavi

DNS experts? private Nameservers and the Domain for the panel

Post by chaiavi »

I have a VPS on Amazon to host KeyHelp with several KeyHelp users each for a single site.

I bought a new domain name for my panel so I can use the domain name instead of an IP address, this helped me solve an issue I had with phpMyAdmin (and I assume it will help me with future issues as well).

But as I have several sites all of which I want to point to keyHelp, I need a nameserver to point to.
Can I make the newly bought Panel domain also as my private nameserver ? So I can point my sites to ns1.panelDomain.com ?
Last edited by chaiavi on Sat 25. Apr 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Re: DNS experts? private Nameservers and the Domain for the panel

Post by Jolinar »

chaiavi wrote: Fri 24. Apr 2020, 12:02 But as I have several sites all of which I want to point to keyHelp, I need a nameserver to point to.
Can I make the newly bought Panel domain also as my private nameserver ? So I can point my sites to ns1.panelDomain.com ?
Short answer: Yes.
But you don't need your own nameservers. You can use the nameservers from your domainprovider.
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

Data Collector für Community Support
___
Ich verwende zwei verschiedene Schriftfarben in meinen Beiträgen /
I use two different font colors in my posts:
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
buttercookie42

Post by buttercookie42 »

And it's also recommended to have more than one name server - with some TLDs this is actually enforced when changing the name server records (i.e. at least one name server must have a different IP than all the others), though if I'm not mistaken .com doesn't do this.

If you still prefer managing your DNS through the Keyhelp panel (because e.g. Keyhelp automatically creates the correct DNS records when you create a new domain) and your domain provider supports it, you could also try running a master-slave setup as described here.
Last edited by buttercookie42 on Sat 25. Apr 2020, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
chaiavi

Post by chaiavi »

buttercookie42 wrote: Fri 24. Apr 2020, 19:41 And it's also recommended to have more than one name server - with some TLDs this is actually enforced when changing the name server records (i.e. at least one name server must have a different IP than all the others), though if I'm not mistaken .com doesn't do this.

If you still prefer managing your DNS through the Keyhelp panel (because e.g. Keyhelp automatically creates the correct DNS records when you create a new domain) and your domain provider supports it, you could also try running a master-slave setup as described here.
ButterCookie42, I can't access the link :o
Last edited by chaiavi on Sun 26. Apr 2020, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
buttercookie42

Post by buttercookie42 »

Oops, yes, I meant this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9000 (Also fixed the original link)