Wrong Disk Space Calculation!

chaiavi

Wrong Disk Space Calculation!

Post by chaiavi »

Hi,

I have on my KH several users, each one holding a single site.

On the main dashboard page KH tells me that my sites use about 45gb! (Probably a backup plugin going rougue) (Attaching screenshot #1)
But when looking to find which user is the culprit i find that the disk space calculations are bad as it shows really low disk usage for each user (Attaching screenshot #2)

Another question:
In the specific user (site) KH, is there a way to find disk space usage by folder ? - it will really help me see where the disk is going...
Attachments
2-186mb-only.PNG
1-47gb.PNG
1-47gb.PNG (10.64 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Moritz83

Re: Wrong Disk Space Calculation!

Post by Moritz83 »

The first screenshots shows (as you mentioned) the disk usage for each KH user only (i.e. Domain 1 user, Domain 2 user and so on) but the second screenshot shows the overall usage (with all the applications, temporary files and stuff) of the server (not only KH). So basically the calculation is correct (at least for me)

What you can do:

Shell solution
Install NCDU

Code: Select all

apt-get install ncdu
go to the root directory

cd /
and run NCDU

ncdu
this will give you something like this
ncdu.JPG
The other solution would be a custom theme like this (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8961&start=120) ... although I always prefer some "nice and easy" solution like an overview within a panel I would go with the shell solution. As this is something you might not do any day or even any week performing a manual analysis could be easier.

If you really want to do it every day (or several times a week) OlliTheDarkness or I could take a look into it, maybe there is an easy way to implement this into the custom theme

EDIT
Including this into a custom theme might be "useless" as you still have to figure out which folder inside the (lets take my screenshot) folder "usr" is the largest one

EDIT 2
just figured out: if run the command

ncdu
you can navigate with the arrow keys (right to go into the marked folder). This is (at least my humble opinion) the way to solve your problem :)
chaiavi

Re: Wrong Disk Space Calculation!

Post by chaiavi »

@Moritz83 Thank you very much!!

You can me a very good alternative.

When I used cPanel, I had this option in the dashboard and I still think it is an important one, to stay on the dashboard and find the exact folder which uses too much disk space.

IMHO, it should even be included in the regular dashboard and not just in the custom theme.

But for now I can use your solution which I like :-)

Thank you again,
Chaiavi