Keyhelp - best control panel

george

Keyhelp - best control panel

Post by george »

Hello all at Keyhelp!

Since dumping cPanel a few months ago (due to extreme licensing cost increase), I then tried all the available free web control panels, and eventually found Keyhelp.

These control panels all failed me, except for Keyhelp. Each had its own strange way of doing things - executing commands in the background that I was unaware of, and not notified by the interface. There were problems with email, user home directories, etc. because they had such a strange and non-standard way of doing things, which constantly forced me to resort to command line to make anything work properly. What's the point of a control panel if most of the tasks need a terminal?

Then on a forum I saw the mention of Keyhelp and decided to give it a try. What a relief, like a cool beer on a hot day!

Keyhelp is by far the best control panel available, even better than cPanel I think. cPanel has its own problems that creep in, and there were times that it failed me especially after major upgrades.

Keyhelp has been built with good German engineering philosophy, keeping things simple as possible for the user, while having all the expected features of a capable web server, AND sensible default configurations! Once installed, the administrator can quickly and easily setup mostly through the Keyhelp interface, with very few custom commands required (I did use a few). Adding domains, email addresses, etc. is so easy on Keyhelp, and everything works!

I have been using Keyhelp for a month or so, and never been happier with a control panel.
THANKYOU all Keyhelp crew!!

The only concern I have going forward, is the complexity of the backup/restore process (as I read it in this forum). Most things can be fixed on a server, but the big problem arrives when something unexpected occurs - this could be a hardware fault, bad upgrade, a host going out of business, etc. We are then left with a backup, that will take some work to restore. Above all other suggested features for Keyhelp, in my view, we should have a restore feature. Having an automated script (or even partially automated, with user input) to restore the backup, should be a high priority.

I love Keyhelp.
Thanks again...
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Re: Keyhelp - best control panel

Post by Alexander »

Hello george!

Thank you for your kind words. Very nice to hear that KeyHelp fits your demands so well. I will continue to do my best to keep up the expectations.
The only concern I have going forward, is the complexity of the backup/restore process (as I read it in this forum). Most things can be fixed on a server, but the big problem arrives when something unexpected occurs - this could be a hardware fault, bad upgrade, a host going out of business, etc. We are then left with a backup, that will take some work to restore. Above all other suggested features for Keyhelp, in my view, we should have a restore feature. Having an automated script (or even partially automated, with user input) to restore the backup, should be a high priority.
You are right, the Backup feature could need a little more love. I am aware of the issue and there will be some kind of a more mature backup solution in the future, but unfortunately I can not give you any ETA yet.
...like a cool beer on a hot day!
Thanks again an cheers ;)!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
george

Post by george »

Hello Alexander, thankyou for your reply.
I have done a few tweaks/customisations on my Keyhelp powered server, and would like to share them here, in short tutorial form. A small contribution that I'm sure would help others.

I can post here in the English section, or post in general (German) forum using Google translate. I do read the German forum too using Google translate, and it's good enough to understand.

More to come...
Regards, George
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Post by Alexander »

Feel free to post in English, you can include an optional translation by deepl.com / google translate as well.

You can use this area viewforum.php?f=16 for your posts.
In this area user post scripts, modifications, tutorials to achieve certain things - sounds like a perfect match for the things you described.

Thanks for sharing!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
george

Post by george »

Excellent!

My posts will be good for beginner/intermediate level users - I also look forward to comments, improvements, and corrections from advanced users and developers.

Look for my posts over the next week...
lmarcos

Post by lmarcos »

I agree with George, having used cpanel many many years ago and LXadmin/kloxo I moved to Vesta CP after the Kloxo security bug caught me, but I was so unsatisfied with Vesta I was mainly using CLI for everything.

So finding Keyhelp has been like a breeze and I'm going to switch my other server to Keyhelp as soon as I feel like it since I have to update as well a big phpbb board having authentication issues since the previous server crashed and it gives me the creeps just thinking about it. At least this time I'll have the two servers running in parallel so I can do a proper version upgrade and not just a database import and Keyhelp for proper HSTS configuration. :lol:

By the way, I left my tutorial here, written from experience and the german thread. I first tried looking into the English forum for information since Deepl and Google Translate can result in strange things.