Install Documentation page  [SOLVED]

Which features are you missing? Tell us about it.
shoulders

Install Documentation page

Post by shoulders »

https://www.keyhelp.de/en/#install

I have a few suggestions
  • Add a comma into the text as shown between KeyHelp and log so it reads better. I know it is a small thing, but when in Rome :D
    comma.png
    comma.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
  • Add a note about what to do with the root account after installation. i.e: "once the installation is complete, you can safely disable the root account as it is no longer needed" or "do not disable the root account after installation as it is still needed for normal operation."
  • Debina or Ubuntu? This might need its own article. I know that Ubuntu is based on the debian sources, ubuntu tends to have better hardware support, debian comes with very little installed. Can someone do a comparrison or an article to help users decide which OS to use. I understand both are fully supported. Some more info on this would be useful.
  • the expand icons look like minus signs rather than plus signs. I understand there might be a site redesign soon. If it was an easy thing to make these icons clearer, that would be nice.
    expand-icon.png
    expand-icon.png (704 Bytes) Viewed 1277 times
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Re: Install Documentation page  [SOLVED]

Post by Alexander »

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.
Add a comma into the text as shown between KeyHelp and log so it reads better. I know it is a small thing, but when in Rome :D
Fixed.

Add a note about what to do with the root account after installation. i.e: "once the installation is complete, you can safely disable the root account as it is no longer needed" or "do not disable the root account after installation as it is still needed for normal operation."
What do you mean by "disable" - disable SSH access?
This is entirely up to the user. Of course, KeyHelp takes care of the server, but it does take care of all responsibilities of a server administrator. So the user has to decide, if he needs access to root or not.

Debina or Ubuntu? This might need its own article. I know that Ubuntu is based on the debian sources, ubuntu tends to have better hardware support, debian comes with very little installed. Can someone do a comparrison or an article to help users decide which OS to use. I understand both are fully supported. Some more info on this would be useful.
This is also up to the user, I think the internet is full of comparison lists of which operating system suits you best. It is not in the scope of KeyHelp to create and maintain a comparison list of operating systems.
For KeyHelp, both are generally equal, no system is preferred over the other. So in this regards, it does not matter which one you choose.

the expand icons look like minus signs rather than plus signs. I understand there might be a site redesign soon. If it was an easy thing to make these icons clearer, that would be nice.
This will be fixed with the redesign in a couple of weeks.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
shoulders

Re: Install Documentation page

Post by shoulders »

Alexander wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 12:12 This is entirely up to the user. Of course, KeyHelp takes care of the server, but it does take care of all responsibilities of a server administrator. So the user has to decide, if he needs access to root or not.
Perhaps a note as follows: KeyHelp does not need the root account to be enabled for normal operations after installation.

As per the instructions you need to install using the root account but by default Debian and Ubuntu come with the root account disabled (expired password :D ) and they recommend to create another account with sudo privileges and use that. So this is why it would be useful to know the answer and have a quick note (as above) on the install instructions. It still leaves the server management to the user.
24unix

Post by 24unix »

shoulders wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 12:18 default Debian and Ubuntu come with the root account disabled (expired password :D )
That not true, at least for Debian.
I don't know the GUI installer, but debootstrap creates a valid usable root.
The CLI installer asks for a root password and additionally for a regular user.
mfg Micha
--
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed …
… oh wait, he does.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 12:18 KeyHelp does not need the root account to be enabled for normal operations after installation.
This is not quite correct!
In example, for the execution of a distribution upgrade you need root. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

Data Collector für Community Support
___
Ich verwende zwei verschiedene Schriftfarben in meinen Beiträgen /
I use two different font colors in my posts:
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views