File Manager - Add refresh button  [SOLVED]

Which features are you missing? Tell us about it.
shoulders

File Manager - Add refresh button

Post by shoulders »

When I am uploading an archive to my website I will usually have the panel file manager open so soon as the upload has completed I can refresh and see the new upload which I can then extract.

Please add a refresh button to the file manager.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Re: File Manager - Add refresh button  [SOLVED]

Post by Jolinar »

Every modern browser has a reload/refresh button. Why should we integrate an additional button into the panel that serves the exact same function?
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

Data Collector für Community Support
___
Ich verwende zwei verschiedene Schriftfarben in meinen Beiträgen /
I use two different font colors in my posts:
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
shoulders

Re: File Manager - Add refresh button

Post by shoulders »

Because you might be several levels deep in a folder structure and when you refresh the page, your location will get reset.

This is why most of the other panels I have evaluated have this feature.
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Post by Alexander »

The path within the file manager is part of the URL, if you hit refresh / F5 etc. you would still be in the same directory.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

That would not be obvious for most, especially on a tablet or a phone (if you do such a thing).

If it is not a big thing you could:
  • add a javascript button that refreshes the page and just call it 'Refresh' :D
  • or add a small note to advise users that they can use F5 to refresh and the location will be maintained.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 16:25 That would not be obvious for most, especially on a tablet or a phone (if you do such a thing).
On mobile devices you only need a swipe gesture to refresh the web page.
And sorry, if you don't even know such simple things, then you shouldn't manage servers.
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

___
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
24unix

Post by 24unix »

Jolinar wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 16:30 then you shouldn't manage servers.
I think the file manager is not really meant for the admin, I've never ever used it.
Nothing beats the shell.
mfg Micha
--
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed …
… oh wait, he does.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

24unix wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2023, 16:32 Nothing beats the shell.
Or in this specific case also a FTP Client like Filezilla, WinSCP, whatever...

___
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

@Jolinar

I know how to refresh a page but I would not expect a folder reference in a GET request.

The end-user will definitely not know to examine the URL for such data and then decide, ahah I should refresh the page, all those other panels with a refresh button are stupid. :D

I know how to do a few things, but you get me mixed up with clients. You have a client area for a reason. The file manger is only available in the client area.

Hope this clears things up. :D
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Post by Alexander »

Sorry but i don't get it.

You say, that clients assumes, when he hit F5, we will be redirected to an other directory / reset their current directory.

I would say, clients, who use KeyHelp do not have to worry about this, they can just hit F5 and everything will be fine.

If other control panels make the user think about a refresh button an a possible reset of their current directory than that is the fault of the respective panels. In KeyHelp F5 just works.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

Hi Alexander

File managers come in 2 basic forms (as you know)
  • PHP based, all updates are done by hyperlink and the supply of a new page from the PHP interpreter etc.. A page refresh has occurred (your file manager I am guessong). This will be controlled by variables POST or GET (GET for yours) supplied with the REQUEST.
  • then there is the ajax based stuff where the 'new code' is supplied in the background, the DOM is altered and you stay on the same html/php page, no page refresh occurs.
The end user will not know the difference between these and will just expect refresh button. Yes, some will click up and then back into the folder but I would not think F5 would be their first thought, it was not mine.

If you hit F5 on a file manager that is using ajax the location/folder data will not be sent over a GET variable and the page will reload fresh.

The reason I expected a refresh button is that when I click on a folder or the up directory button the page refresh is so quick I did not see it or perhaps I thought the file manager was being update by ajax. I did not feel the need to inspect the URL to see GET variables to discover the file manager was PHP based.

I completely understand now that F5 just works (even though I would prefer a button :D), but could you just add the message 'Press F5 to refresh the page or something similiar. (also I just used red to make it easier to see). It is your call, I am just pointing out what I see.
f5.png
f5.png (15.12 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
P.s. I appreciate the feedback I have been given aswell.
Tobi
Community Moderator

Post by Tobi »

I have never had to reload the page. For me, the file manager works as you would expect.

If you have to refresh all the time, you are doing something wrong.

sorry 😬
Gruß,
Tobi

-----------------------------
wewoco.de
Das Forum für Reseller, Digital-Agenturen, Bildschirmarbeiter und Mäuseschubser
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

not all the time, see post 1 :D