KH updated, Debian too.. but email doesn't work!

General discussions around KeyHelp.
sandemo

KH updated, Debian too.. but email doesn't work!

Post by sandemo »

Hello,

I have a problem after KH+Debian update.. when upgrading the system from Debian 11 to Debian 12 some strange things are happening..

the situation looks like this:

1. downloaded the upgrade script,
2. i run it in the screen so that nothing breaks,
3. according to the installer, which services to restart I simply choose "OK"
4. restarting services without asking gives on Yes,
5. during the update pops up a notification "Screen is terminating"
6. after restarting the system, it turns out that the php command is not found
(here I tried to do apt --fix-missing and then a notification popped up: composer requires php-composer-pcre and I installed it)
7. after running the script again, the installer worked correctly and I checked "Keep local installed version" in the configuration files
8. after restarting, I executed the php script once again and it installed everything completely.
9. when checking how the system behaves after the update, the panel works fine, the pages work fine however the mail is broken. It doesn't display any emails, when sending it pops up an error, but surprisingly the email sends correctly...

Overall there is a problem with mail, everything else seems to work correctly. How to fix it? Probably that moment when composer crashed the installer disturbed the correctness of the update, or something along the way happened. For the time being I used snapshot and went back to Debian 11 in order not to interrupt my work, but sooner or later this update will unfortunately have to take place.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I did wrong or where the problem could be occurring? if so, i am able to reproduce the installation and provide additional information. I would appreciate any help. :?
Florian
Keyweb AG

Re: KH updated, Debian too.. but email doesn't work!

Post by Florian »

Hallo,

you should find out what interrupts your update process.

And you have to check the mail log to get information about what's wrong with the mail system. How shall we know?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Florian Cheno

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
sandemo

Re: KH updated, Debian too.. but email doesn't work!

Post by sandemo »

Hello again,

I updated again and this time I did not screen the process which allowed me to take a closer look at what is wrong. If anyone ever encountered a similar problem here are the reasons for my problems:

• The update stopped when changing php to a newer version, I manually corrected this problem by installing "php-composer-pcre" and it went on without a problem.
  • My Dovecot crashed because I had an additional custom configuration in "local.conf" which no longer works in this version, and because of that I had a problem with mail.
After fixing these two things, everything works great!

Earlier I had a rather strange situation because on a larger mailbox I had to add the "fts" plugin to the configuration to make IMAP work faster when searching mails, and from what I've read "fts" is already deprecated and newer versions don't support it. :oops:
Through my inattention, I made problems for myself, but on the other hand, it's also hard to keep track of everything in real time.

Is there any recommended alternative to "fts" in this situation? What's most interesting is that I'm just testing the mailbox after this update and the problem with slow loading of messages seems to have disappeared, but I don't know if it won't appear again at a later time. :(