Custom config(s) ?  [SOLVED]

Discussions about the usage of KeyHelp.
amarc

Custom config(s) ?

Post by amarc »

Hello,

could someone explain a bit what happens with common config files when Keyhelp updates (as one example..). For example, If I edit and add my own config in /etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90.sieve.conf what will Keyhelp do with those files after update ? Will they be kept or reverted back to "default" ones ?

Thank you
Alexander
Keyweb AG

Re: Custom config(s) ?  [SOLVED]

Post by Alexander »

Hello,
could someone explain a bit what happens with common config files when Keyhelp updates (as one example..)
To answer in general, with every update, there is a small chance that config files may are required to be rewritten due to enable new features etc.

As a rule of thumb:
File names which contain "keyhelp", for example "/etc/sudoers.d/keyhelp" may get overwritten without further notices. These files should be considered as KeyHelp's own property, custom changes to that files are not recommended.

For file names without "keyhelp", for example "/etc/postfix/main.cf" changes are normally performed in small steps only, that means only certain directives are updated and not the whole file etc. in order to respect as many custom configurations as possible.

If I edit and add my own config in /etc/postfix/main.cf
To be a bit more specific: This file never gets completely overwritten by a panel-update. Changes are always performed by updating only single config directives.

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/90.sieve.conf
This file has never been touched by a KeyHelp panel update. Chances are also low that this will be necessary any time soon.
But files in the "/etc/dovecot/conf.d/" folder are currently not being processed anyway. For this kind of custom configuration, create a file called "/etc/dovecot/additional_custom.conf" where you can put all your additional directives into. This file will automatically get included when reloading the dovecot configuration and will remain untouched by a KeyHelp update.

Some other advice / things to consider:

If you are unsure, you may think about making a file immutable with the immutable flag. But this always has the chance of breaking stuff, I would not recommend in doing so.

You have the option to perform panel updates manually. After the update, you compare your modified files. You can disable automatic panel updates via the "Maintenance Intervals" page in KeyHelp.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
amarc

Re: Custom config(s) ?

Post by amarc »

Thanks for great reply Alexander.

Basicaly I am only trying to modify Postfix's mail.cf and some of dovecot's config's because I want to include Rspamd instead Spamassassin as spam filter. Nothing else, nothing more.

If Postfix's main.cf is updated only "line by line" than I am perfectly good 👍