Translation section in the forum?

Which features are you missing? Tell us about it.
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Translation section in the forum?

Post by BasHeijermans »

Hi Alex,

I have a suggestion, is it a good idea to have a translation-section in the forum?
I mean, where there is a section for every language where people can report translation errors / mistakes?

I'm pretty sure that I made mistakes or some lines could be better as it's a first version and not completed yet.

If there is a section and it notifies the translator automatic on a post, it will make it easy to correct errors or better the translation.

Just something I though of :lol:
Greetings Bas.

Ik heb KeyHelp naar het Nederlands vertaald, contacteer me als er translatie fouten zijn.
(I have translated KeyHelp into Dutch, contact me if there are translation errors.)
Next version 24 of KeyHelp 100% translated.
Tobi
Community Moderator

Re: Translation section in the forum?

Post by Tobi »

BTW:
Are any usage statistics about the different languages?
Gruß,
Tobi

-----------------------------
wewoco.de
Das Forum für Reseller, Digital-Agenturen, Bildschirmarbeiter und Mäuseschubser
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Post by BasHeijermans »

I don't know.

Can't say as Dutch isn't included yet, just passed 51% translation a few minutes ago.

You have to ask other translators this, maybe they know.
Greetings Bas.

Ik heb KeyHelp naar het Nederlands vertaald, contacteer me als er translatie fouten zijn.
(I have translated KeyHelp into Dutch, contact me if there are translation errors.)
technotravel
KeyHelp Translator

Post by technotravel »

I have thought about this as well ... (I did the French translation).

So far, my solution was to ask for my Forum ID to be added as credential for the translation, hoping that in case of need the person will be smart enough to look up the KH change-log, where this is mentioned. And then contact me via PN.

But I'm also sure Alex will mark the relevant sections in the translation files, if ever he gets any hints about errors.

For me, it would be particularly interesting to get a feedback, because I don't even use the French version of Keyhelp :D I have only added one client in French, where I can peep occasionally ... but it's only in daily use where you can see the value of your translation :lol:

Would be nice to hear what the other translators think about your suggestion. Or the users of our translations :roll:

PS: I have absolutely no idea how many users rely on my translations - never got any feedback. And I doubt even Keyhelp could know which language is used in an existing installation.
Last edited by technotravel on Sun 24. Jul 2022, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Chers francophones, je traduis KeyHelp en français. S'il y a des erreurs ou des propositions d'amélioration, n'hésitez pas à me contacter !
(Ich übersetze KeyHelp ins Französische)
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Post by BasHeijermans »

Exactly.

Personally I don't care if it's English or German, but I have a few friends that use my server for mail and they don't speak anything but Dutch.

And yes, I want to know what people think of my translation. Although not distributed yet.
Greetings Bas.

Alexander
Keyweb AG

Post by Alexander »

I would have no problem in creating an other category here just for translators and a place to report issues. But I would guess, there will not much activity there.

Till now, I didn't receive any feedback for issues with of the community translations by others as the translators itself. I do have received reports about German and English, but this would fall in my responsibility anyway.

The reason could be:

1)
The translators work perfectly and there is no reason to complain 8-).

2)
The users do not know, where to report translation issues.

3)
Users may have contacted the translators directly via the contact data (in the KeyHelp footer and on "Configuration -> Languages") and they did not post it here.

3.1)
As some of the translators run their own hosting company, their clients may report problems with KeyHelp or the translations directly to the hosting company. The hosting company / translator than take their feedback and fix it with the next translation run. This forum is mainly for administrators, so we do not get in contact with these common clients.

4)
There maybe aren't many users using a particular language. KeyHelp is still highly German based with ~80% using German as language, of course this value can only change, if users see, that their own language is offered too.

5)
They don't care that much about it / they can live with some translation issues.

If some of you have an idea, how a new forum about translations etc. could look like or a way, to make the translators more visible, so they receive the praise (or donations??) they deserve. Feel free to post.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
24unix

Post by 24unix »

Alexander wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 11:17
KeyHelp is still highly German based with ~80% using German as language,
Wow :( Das überrascht mich ehrlich gesagt :-(
mfg Micha
--
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed …
… oh wait, he does.
technotravel
KeyHelp Translator

Post by technotravel »

I have a suggestion :D

I had already thought of creating myself a simple contact-page (form for email) - there are snippets for this on the web - where comments or suggestions about my translation could be deposited, and then I get them by mail. Indeed, I think Alex is right - normal users of our translations are rather unlikely to show up here in the forum

But then - wouldn't it be a good idea, if Keyhelp creates and hosts such pages? Not only you can code much nicer pages, but being on the Keyhelp website, it could also bear the logo and show that these pages are officially associated. One such page for each language (or only for those translators who'd like to have one).

Each translator could write a short text as an intro (if desired) - and the contents of the form will be mailed to the predefined email address.

What do you think?
Chers francophones, je traduis KeyHelp en français. S'il y a des erreurs ou des propositions d'amélioration, n'hésitez pas à me contacter !
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Post by BasHeijermans »

Alex I think you are wrong as a major panel maker iMSCP has stopped development, even after been paid by several people.
Most seek an alternative that is simple, easy and good to run, yours is perfect!

KeyHelp has been suggested by many as very good replacement, also by me after long testing.

Apart from an error here or there it's running perfect!!!
So why complain if it works?

Also it's free. iMSCP was used by many small hosters.
If you check the iMSCP forum, not many posted there as many problems where already solved and helped others.
Doesn't mean people don't read the forum or use the panel.

As for donations for my translation, I do not want money or anything, just want to make it look good in Dutch :lol:

New category could be called: report translation mistakes / suggestions and have an language tag when posting, so we know what language it's about.
Greetings Bas.

Alexander
Keyweb AG

Post by Alexander »

technotravel wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 13:57 I had already thought of creating myself a simple contact-page (form for email) - there are snippets for this on the web - where comments or suggestions about my translation could be deposited, and then I get them by mail. Indeed, I think Alex is right - normal users of our translations are rather unlikely to show up here in the forum

But then - wouldn't it be a good idea, if Keyhelp creates and hosts such pages? Not only you can code much nicer pages, but being on the Keyhelp website, it could also bear the logo and show that these pages are officially associated. One such page for each language (or only for those translators who'd like to have one).

Each translator could write a short text as an intro (if desired) - and the contents of the form will be mailed to the predefined email address.
The problem with this is that there is no 100% protection against spam bots / malicious users that may have come across this page and spam the contact form.

Simple alternative:
Currently, when a user clicks on the translator's name, it opens the translator's URL (to their company, private site, etc). I could change this to a popup with more information about the translator, including a contact email and their website. Negative aspect: the contact email would appear in plain text. On the other hand, it would only be displayed when logged into KeyHelp-UI, so spam bots wouldn't be able to find it.

A slightly more complex alternative:
As above, but the contact form is offered within KeyHelp, and the KeyHelp server sends the email. This would not reveal the contact email address.

BasHeijermans wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 15:25 Alex I think you are wrong as a major panel maker iMSCP has stopped development, even after been paid by several people.
To which sentence of mine are you referring with "you are wrong"? ;)
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Alexander Mahr

Keyweb AG - Die Hosting Marke
Neuwerkstr. 45/46, 99084 Erfurt / Germany
http://www.keyweb.de - http://www.keyhelp.de
technotravel
KeyHelp Translator

Post by technotravel »

Alexander wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 15:59
A slightly more complex alternative:
As above, but the contact form is offered within KeyHelp, and the KeyHelp server sends the email. This would not reveal the contact email address.
Sounds perfect to me, Alex :D
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Post by BasHeijermans »

BasHeijermans wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 15:25 Alex I think you are wrong as a major panel maker iMSCP has stopped development, even after been paid by several people.

To which sentence of mine are you referring with "you are wrong"? ;)
I'm just saying, you may be supprised how many people moved to your free panel.
As such I mean, you could be wrong in the assumption that it's mostly Germans using your panel.

Just saying, your assumption of 80% being Germans could be way off :roll:
Greetings Bas.

24unix

Post by 24unix »

BasHeijermans wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 16:37 Just saying, your assumption of 80% being Germans could be way off :roll:
Why do you think he has to make assumptions?

If it would be my software I'd exactly know where it is used.
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.
BasHeijermans
KeyHelp Translator

Post by BasHeijermans »

24unix wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 17:01
BasHeijermans wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 16:37 Just saying, your assumption of 80% being Germans could be way off :roll:
Why do you think he has to make assumptions?

If it would be my software I'd exactly know where it is used.
Why do you keep replying and not contribute to conversations?
Greetings Bas.

24unix

Post by 24unix »

BasHeijermans wrote: Mon 25. Jul 2022, 17:18 Why do you keep replying and not contribute to conversations?
*plonk*
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.