GUI based Terminal in the admin area

Which features are you missing? Tell us about it.
shoulders

GUI based Terminal in the admin area

Post by shoulders »

This is a useful feature i have used on other panels. Obviously only for administrators and not clients.

not much more to say about this one.
24unix

Re: GUI based Terminal in the admin area

Post by 24unix »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:26 This is a useful feature i have used on other panels.
What should be useful on such a thing?
How would you login? Username and password? Not really …
mfg Micha
--
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed …
… oh wait, he does.
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

On the other panels, lets say virtualmin, I think you login as a real system user. I know the keyadmin is not a real system user, I was told that KeyHelp users were real system users but I am not 100%.

So I take you point with the way KeyHelp is built you would need to actually enter some details. Does this mean this suggestion still has merrit, just a lot lesss than I thought 5 minutes ago. :D

A benefit would be that you could disable SSH.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:37 On the other panels, lets say virtualmin...
If virtualmin appeals to you more, then use it!

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:37 A benefit would be that you could disable SSH.
I don't see any benefit there

BTW:
shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:26 This is a useful feature i have used on other panels. Obviously only for administrators and not clients.
What's so hard about opening a terminal window on your computer and connecting to the server?
The panel is supposed to support the server administration and not the laziness of the admin...
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

Data Collector für Community Support
___
Ich verwende zwei verschiedene Schriftfarben in meinen Beiträgen /
I use two different font colors in my posts:
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
24unix

Post by 24unix »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:37 A benefit would be that you could disable SSH.
So, instead of my regular terminal wich I use the whole day through I get a webbased client?

What a great benefit :)

Just disable password based logins and there is no problem with ssh running.
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

Jolinar wrote: If virtualmin appeals to you more, then use it!
It was just an idea I wanted to run past people because thats what a lot of the other panels do, I did not just invent this one on my own. :D

Look here for more info
https://quantumwarp.com/kb/articles/64- ... interfaces
Last edited by shoulders on Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 16:48
Jolinar wrote: If virtualmin appeals to you more, then use it!
Look here for more info
https://quantumwarp.com/kb/articles/64- ... interfaces
So, what are you getting at?
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

___
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

If virtualmin appeals to you more, then use it!
This came across as rude (to me) (maybe I read your comment wrong) and I wanted to show you that my thoughts come from a place of wanting to improve the software with the benefit of the research I have done into all of the other panels.

I haven't decided to come to KeyHelp and say make your software like Virtualmin, but some of their stuff is great, some of your stuff is great and so on...

The link I have added can show you that I have researched the other panels and I am not a newbie.
24unix

Post by 24unix »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 17:01 The link I have added can show you that I have researched the other panels and I am not a newbie.
That is right, you put a lot of effort into the article.
shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 17:01 and I am not a newbie.
I have my doubts :-)

"Linux is hard to setup via the command line" <= That sounds like the exact opposite.
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 17:01 This came across as rude (to me) (maybe I read your comment wrong)
No, that wasn't meant to be rude.
But I have to honestly admit that the flood of your posts on the forum is a bit challenging, especially since many of your ideas and suggestions have either already been implemented or have not been implemented for good reasons.

___
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

I did search the forum before I posted, but one of my few remaining suggestions would be to start a GitHub for feature requests and bug reports, no code needed and much easier to see if something has been reported or suggested before.
24unix

Post by 24unix »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 19:36 GitHub
Why the heck should anybody use MS Github?

This is a support forum for a server control panel, every admin should be able to setup his own GitLab or Gitea, no need to give MS any data.
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 19:36 I did search the forum before I posted
This is likely due to the language barrier. Over 85% of the feature requests were posted in the German forum section.

___
24unix

Post by 24unix »

Jolinar wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 19:51
shoulders wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 19:36 I did search the forum before I posted
This is likely due to the language barrier. Over 85% of the feature requests were posted in the German forum section.
That's definitely a problem, the main content should be in English, as everybody knows that. At least should that be true for IT guys.
Limiting the information to a few percent of the world population will make it hard to cope with stuff like CPanel, Plesk and so on.
mfg Micha
--
… oh wait, he does.
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Post by Jolinar »

24unix wrote: Fri 27. Oct 2023, 20:02 That's definitely a problem, the main content should be in English, as everybody knows that. At least should that be true for IT guys.
Limiting the information to a few percent of the world population will make it hard to cope with stuff like CPanel, Plesk and so on.
In principle, you may be right...But you must not ignore the development path of the panel. The majority of forum users come from the German-speaking region. However, the English forum section is currently gaining a lot of traction. :D
Apart from that, I assume that a person who calls himself an admin can use a translator like DeepL or similar, right...? :?

___