Wildcard Cnames

Discussions about the usage of KeyHelp.
gacott

Wildcard Cnames

Post by gacott »

Hello,

We have a very specific use in mind for the software. We have a WordPress-based plugin that creates any number of subdomains within one installation. This is done by using a cname wildcard at the DNS provider, pointed to the single domain install.

Using past control panels, we would accomplish this by doing; *.domain.com. But in this case that creates a subdomain called wildcard.domain.com.

Will the software support the usage we intend? And if so, what's the best way to achieve this?

Thanks
Jolinar
Community Moderator

Re: Wildcard Cnames

Post by Jolinar »

gacott wrote: Sat 23. Dec 2023, 19:51 Using past control panels, we would accomplish this by doing; *.domain.com
You can try the following...

Go to Domains >> Domains >> Edit Domain >> Apache Settings, and insert:

Code: Select all

ServerAlias *.domain.com
and save it.
Wenn jemand inkompetent ist, dann kann er nicht wissen, daß er inkompetent ist. (David Dunning)

Data Collector für Community Support
___
Ich verwende zwei verschiedene Schriftfarben in meinen Beiträgen /
I use two different font colors in my posts:
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Moderator und gebe moderative Hinweise oder begründe moderative Eingriffe /
    In this color, I write as a moderator and provide moderative guidance or justify moderative interventions
  • In dieser Farbe schreibe ich als Community Mitglied und teile meine private Meinung und persönlichen Ansichten mit /
    In this color, I write as a community member and share my personal opinions and views
gacott

Post by gacott »

Awesome, super appreciated!

Is there a way to make this part of the domain template or Apache template? So that it would apply to all domains created.
And if so, could I get instructions for this?

Again, thanks so much!
gacott

Post by gacott »

I have been digging around more, quite nice! We will get the licenses for sure, thanks!

About making sure it happens for all domains, I would assume I could do it here: Image if I know what to put so that it works for all domains?